January 08, 2007

5:01 PM: family

I have lots of family. The regular kind, the church kind, the friends kind. But today I was thinking about another family I have--an unlikely one--and that's my work family.

For a lot of people, work is just work. It's what they have to do to pay the bills. A lot of people hate it. Some people, if they're lucky, don't mind what they do too much. And a few people, if they're lucky, actually enjoy their work.

I fall into the last category--I truly love my work. There have been moments when I've been frustrated or annoyed, but I've never questioned that publishing was where I was intended to be. And there have been some crazy times in our department, but things have leveled out amazingly well in the last few months, and I just love it.

I was gone for three weeks for the surgery, and I was surprised to realize just how much I really missed the people I work with. They aren't just co-workers, but so many of them are real, true friends. The kind that make you smile inside.

Today as we were all sitting around the lunch table (note: we eat together every day as a department, and our table is starting to get really huge), Steve pulled out a big bag of chips that Kathy knew he liked and had brought him from a trip (how cute is that?). He ripped open the bag and tossed it in the center of the table, and everyone grabbed some and we all shared. Family-style lunch! It made me smile, and laugh, and even say, "oh, I love it here!"

Family is special, whether it's the real thing or not.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments

4 Responses to “family”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    *sigh* Make me miss Glencoe a bit, why don't ya?!

    I eat lunch alone. At my computer. Don't get me wrong, I've made some great friends here...but McGraw is something very special.

    Treasure it, people. Treasure it.

    - Autumn  

  2. # Blogger Erin

    Yeah, I was thinking about this yesterday when Nina came around the corner and was like "Shaaaaaannon! I miiiiiissed you!" We've got it pretty good.  

  3. # Blogger Amanda, Ian, Addison, Aiden, and Isaiah

    Yeah, I certainly miss that family aspect....  

  4. # Blogger Unknown

    I miss that about Glencoe. At ZB, I eat lunch alone at my desk everyday. It's not a bad thing, though. I get a lot of good naps in. But I liked knowing that I always had people to sit with if I wanted to be social during lunch.  

Post a Comment


About Me

    Name: Shannon
    Age: 29
    Occupation: Editor
    Identity: Child of God
    Location: Ohio
    Yahoo: shann_79

Links





© 2007 Shannon, the Writer of this Blog"

|