April 25, 2007

1:16 PM: Beach Reads

I'm going to the beach this summer. That means a few things. First, it means the days will pass very slowly from now until July, because I'll be pining away for sand and surf and sunshine. Second, it means I need to buy a swimsuit, and consequently I'm starting to hate myself. One more thing--it's time to make a book list.

I plan to spend most of my time reading, and when there's sand in my hair, in my nails, and in the bottom of my bathing suit, I only want to read nice fluff. So these are the rules: (1) Nothing heavy; (2) nothing philosophical, metaphorical, or educational; (3) Nothing non-fiction; (4) Nothing I'll need a dictionary for; and (5) nothing that will make me feel bad about myself while I'm publicly half-naked.

A few suggestions so far that have come from coworkers:
Kite Runner
The Time Traveler's Wife
A Girl Named Zippy

What are your favorite beach reads?

Labels:

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Beach Reads”

  1. # Blogger Erin

    Well, when I suggested The Kite Runner (which I really loved), you hadn't given all of these qualifications. It's definitely not "fluff." I'm not sure of your definition of "heavy"--this isn't, like, super depressing and awful, but it's definitely not light reading. I'd definitely read it on a beach, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.  

  2. # Blogger Shannon

    Okay, well by "fluff" I don't mean romance novels (gross!) or anything... I just mean it needs to be an easy and enjoyable read, not something I have to think about.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Does a big, rubberbanded stack of 'Us Weekly,' 'People,' and 'Star' count as a "book"? Cause that'd definitely be beach reading...though it might make you feel bad about yourself. I know that I personally reach for the Lady Schick when I see skinny stars prancing around in $700 bikinis.

    *sigh*

    - Autumn  

  4. # Blogger Erin

    Kite Runner is enjoyable, and fairly easy (like, it's not written in a weird writing style, where you have to keep re-reading the same paragraph a million times to figure out what the heck is going on). It's emotional, though. But in a good way. :)  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    How about "Can you keep a Secret" by Sophie Kinsella. She wrote the Shopaholic books. Cute and fluffy, great beach book.  

  6. # Blogger Amanda, Ian, Addison, Aiden, and Isaiah

    I'm a classics gal. I recommend Pride & Prejudice and The Importance of Being Earnest. Sure, they're written in old English, but they are both great comedies. As well as having a love story. :)  

  7. # Blogger Unknown

    Confessions of a Shopaholic, or any book in that series. Funny, fluffy, and v. cute. Hmm, I don't read a lot of adult novels, so I'm not sure what else I can suggest. I mostly read YA books.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    OMG! I hate the Shopaholic series. (sorry!) Every other paragraph, the heroine is stricken with "I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out." Annoying! You are an adult woman! Speak up! I guess I have a thing about mute heroines...in that they're really not heroines at all.

    But having listened to two of the audiobooks in this series, I do agree that they are "fluffy."

    Have fun on vaca, Shan-NON! :)

    - Autumn  

Post a Comment


About Me

    Name: Shannon
    Age: 29
    Occupation: Editor
    Identity: Child of God
    Location: Ohio
    Yahoo: shann_79

Links





© 2007 Shannon, the Writer of this Blog"

|