April 20, 2008

2:12 PM: Mark 10:9

A lot has happened since my last post. Least importantly, but momentarily annoyingly, my T key keeps sticking. And in this opening paragraph alone, I have had to fuss with the T key 12 times. Oh, now 13.

I wonder, when little girls dream about their wedding days, if they ever picture themselves eloping and skipping the whole wedding hoopla. Of course, I've already had my big hoopla wedding, so maybe I don't count. But I think I always imagined that it would be a big deal and romantic. Little did I know I'd one day become an eloper--or that a small deal could be way more romantic.

This has been quite a ride... but that is what I've come to expect from my roller-coaster life. The good break, then the engagement, then the judgment/suggestion, then the wrong break, then the recommitment... and then a shot gun wedding.

I have one important thing to say at this point:
I am not pregnant. I promise. We were painfully abstinent!

I guess you get to a point where you are two grown, praying adults who have made a valid decision about what they want, with an assurance of a God who listens and speaks to them. And then when you're at that point and someone tells you that what you're hearing from God isn't real, you have to step back and look at what you have. We are not impulsive people. We don't take this lightly. We have prayed and prayed over our decisions. And we decided to stop asking the world their opinion and do what we felt called to do. And that is the end of my defense.

Being married in the courthouse was actually a thousand times more romantic than the big, showy wedding I had the first time. With all the details and stress, I think a little bit of the meaning disappears. When it's just the two of you in one big room, holding hands and looking each other in the eyes, without a roomful of people watching and taking pictures, without worrying about whether your mother pulled your veil off your head when she hugged you... when it's just the two of you and a man with the power vested in him by the State of Ohio... that is romantic and real and a perfect, private moment. And while the idea of it being secretive and impulsive felt somewhat edgy, there was also a real excitement in being in on something together... in knowing something no one else knew. I guess it's kind of like beginning a new life with even the teensiest bit of adventure. I like a little adventure.

We will have a party eventually. I ordered a non-refundable dress and I intend to use it! Besides, we need real pictures so we can tell this crazy story to our grandchildren.

Next comes the details... moving Josh out and in, budgeting, name changing, getting rings, learning to adjust to living together... But first, telling people. That's what we're working on at the moment.

Over and out--
the Mrs.

Labels: ,

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Mark 10:9”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    First, CONGRATS!!! I am happy for both of you!!

    Second, I did the "elope wedding" at a courthouse in Vista, CA back when I was 19 yrs old.

    I will be doing the romantic/non-drama wedding in a few months on the beach in front of the Cape Hatteras, NC lighthouse. Just a handful of family/friends.

    I don't think it matters WHAT way you choose to get married (big church hoopla, Little Chapel in Vegas, Bahama getaway)...what DOES matter is that where ever you are holding hands, looking each other in the eye, that Jesus is present and that you love each other.

    The world could fall down around you and it wouldn't matter.

    Love you dear friends!! Patty (Bob, Matt and Sasha, too!)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Here is my official congratulations! :) You already know that I am really happy for you!

    Mandy  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Here is my official congratulations, too :)

    Muy excellentamentame (or whatever it was Josh said) :)  

  4. # Blogger ...carrie...

    I love you. Congratulations!  

  5. # Blogger Unknown

    Congratulations!

    (But I still don't believe you.)

    Mark Brauen  

  6. # Blogger autumnday

    AHHHHH! :) Shannon, you are amazing! I'm so happy for you and Josh.

    *doing happy dance*  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    what a wonderful story Shannon....

    you know you have my congratulations.. and I wish you two all the best in the world!  

  8. # Blogger Liberty

    How's Married Land?  

  9. # Blogger Unknown

    Shannon, congratulations!!

    I am heading into my 2nd marriage soon, and I'll tell you what, I am with you on the simple thing. The only reason I'm having a wedding at all is because it's his first one, and he's the oldest, and our parents would kill us if we didn't. I'd love it if he and I could take off to Disney World, say our vows quietly, and then spend the rest of the time, effort, and money on rides and meeting characters!

    Anyway, congratulations and I wish you much happiness. :)

    P.S. You need to enable your blog to go to RSS so I can keep up with you better!  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
    But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

    -Matthew 5:31-32  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Shannon,
    I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your new life together :)  

Post a Comment


About Me

    Name: Shannon
    Age: 29
    Occupation: Editor
    Identity: Child of God
    Location: Ohio
    Yahoo: shann_79

Links





© 2007 Shannon, the Writer of this Blog"

|