« Home | been awhile » | Mark 10:9 » | joy kill » | news » | empty » | catching up » | moving on » | boiling blood » | newness » | the way to go »

June 03, 2008

3:01 PM: on working hard

... because I'm not, and I'm trying to decide how I feel about that.

We're in a bit of an editorial slump at the moment--we're coming down from the hysteria of one crazy project and the next is in the planning stages. A lot of red pens are capped right now.

Down time, which can be fairly enjoyable for a season, has become excruciatingly boring. It is in this time that, at first, I enjoy the freedom to check the news once an hour and catch up on my blog reading; but it is in this same time that I eventually realize the news isn't changing fast enough to keep my interest and my blogging friends aren't as consistent as they should be (hint, hint). The privilege of at-work surfing is becoming about as tedious as a regular, work-related task would be--and probably worse, since it comes without the purpose that succeeding at my job might bring.

So with down time comes a little peace and some usually-frowned-upon goofing off... the peace is nice, but there is some element of guilt that tags along with the goofing off. I guess I could do something more work-related with my time... like, say, start memorizing the dictionary or diagramming sentences for fun. (Aside: I know I'm a geek because neither of those sounds that horrible to me.)

But really, if there's nothing to do, why does my laziness have guilt attached? It isn't my fault. Maybe it's a few Proverbs... e.g., "A lazy man hates work." "A lazy man loves sleep." And maybe a little Colossians (i.e., "whatever you do... do it for the Lord..."). I wonder if there's an exception to the rule. Besides, I'm pretty good at lazing around for the Lord. I do it every day when I don't make Him the first priority in my life. And when I choose to gossip instead of encourage. And when I ignore the opportunities He gives me to take the easy way out.

Anyway. In 8 minutes I'm going to get my things together and ditch this cubicle... only to return again in too-few hours to repeat the monotony of this day tomorrow. But maybe I can be a little less lazy about how I use my time... or maybe not.

Labels:

3 Comments

3 Responses to “on working hard”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I just want to support the diagramming sentences idea cause it doesn't sound THAT bad to me either!!! :)  

  2. # Blogger Rich

    Hi Shannon,

    Thanks for your quote on my blog. I only just found it, so apologies if it seemed like I was ignoring you. As for the Eve-rest pronunciation then I'm sure a budding historian like myself could indulge in some geekyness and find you some sources. It really is true. I promise. Scouts honour and all that craic.  

  3. # Blogger Unknown

    I hear ya about the goofing off guilt, but honestly, if there is no work, there is no work. Why feel bad? I miss working at a place where it was OK to check the news or the blogs. Seems like everywhere else is taking employees to the gallows for such things.  

Post a Comment


About Me

    Name: Shannon
    Age: 29
    Occupation: Editor
    Identity: Child of God
    Location: Ohio
    Yahoo: shann_79

Links





© 2007 Shannon, the Writer of this Blog"

|