October 04, 2008

12:46 PM: sleeping alone... sometimes

Josh got switched to the night shift on Monday. When he first told me on Friday night, I had an enormous meltdown. I was sure it was the end of the world, we'd never see each other, it would cause marital problems, and so on. Saturday night when he got home from work, I had another one. Sunday night... again. I work best under pressure, because by Monday I was doing my best to figure out how to make this work instead of feeling sorry for myself and crying over something I couldn't change.

He works 12-hour shifts, so three days one week and four days the next I'll go to bed with only Baby Burke and the cats. The rest of the week we'll pretend like life is normal. I changed my hours at work so I can get home a little bit earlier and have a little bit more time before he leaves for work at 5:30pm. It's not my favorite situation, but we're making it work.

Last night I decided since it was Friday night, I would stay up super late so that I could sleep late this morning after Josh got home. So I stayed awake as long as I could and at 7am, my phone rang. Still a zombie, I had to go rescue Josh and his dead car battery. I could say my plan sort of backfired on me, but I did get to climb back in bed when I got home and sleep for awhile, so I guess I got what I wanted... just a little time next to my husband.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “sleeping alone... sometimes”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Don't fret Shannon! When I was married before, Tim worked swing shift for a large part of the 17 yrs we were married. You'll be ok. Plus, things in life change ALL THE TIME, so Josh could get shifted back sometime too.

    There were times it was nice when the shifts were different. Matthew and I would get some alone time to hang out. :)

    Love ya! Patty  

  2. # Blogger Unknown

    Shannon! I know how you feel. I've been working so much and so has Adam. We see each other for a max of 3 hours a day lately, and I've been having nightmares of him leaving me as a result! We got to reconnect yesterday (before he was off to work again) and tonight, we're going on a date. We know this will help pad our coffers for when the lean winter months strike, but it IS hard when you're just craving time with your hubby. I know how you feel. **hugs**  

Post a Comment


About Me

    Name: Shannon
    Age: 29
    Occupation: Editor
    Identity: Child of God
    Location: Ohio
    Yahoo: shann_79

Links





© 2007 Shannon, the Writer of this Blog"

|